Friday, August 21, 2009

Runner's Etiquette

I am not a morning person. How do I change this? I literally DO NOT want to get out of bed in the morning. I'm ALWAYS late because I think of every excuse not to get out of bed. As a result, I've had to run after work at 6 PM. You would think that by this time of night, it would be less hot/humid. WRONG...actually, this is the hottest time of the day. I don't understand why I can't get my butt out of the bed and run before work. Once I actually get up, I have a lot of energy and have no desire to go back to bed. HELP!

As far as the running goes, I'm really enjoying getting back into a exercise routine (it's a slow process but I'm working hard). I have found a route in our neighborhood that I really enjoy. It has one hard hill that I do close to the beginning of my run (it's a killer). I run for thirty minutes and do a 10-15 minute walk with Jeter :). I figured out the mileage in my car the other day...I'm running a little more than 3 miles (which is about a 9 minute mile....pretty good).

On my runs, I've discovered something....my fellow walkers/runners are not very friendly. And most of them are just rude. I've never run in a neighborhood so I don't know the proper protocol when I pass someone. Growing up in a rural area, I ran past corn fields and cows (not humans). When I pass someone, I like to give a little wave, maybe even say "hello," or at least smile. I am alone in acting this way. When I pass people, they don't wave, say "hello" or smile. In fact, they turn their heads so they don't even have to look at me! Am I that grotesquely ugly or are people just that unfriendly? I know you are exercising and don't want to be bothered. But come on people, being nice never hurt anyone! The only person who has actually returned the gesture was this cute old man walking his dog.

I'm not going to stop being friendly even if I do get a reputation in the neighborhood for being that "weird blond girl who waves at people when she runs."

No comments:

Post a Comment