Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Starbucks Barista is my Best Friend

As soon as Noah and I got married, it started...Everyone began asking the typical newlywed question, "so, when are you going to start having babies?" Seriously, someone asked me that at my wedding. I know it's just natural to ask. My friends who've dated their significant others for a long period of time often get asked, "so, when's he going to pop the question?" When they tell me how irritated they get when asked this question, I say, "just wait 'til you get married. Then everyone will start asking about babies." It never ends.

Something happened to me yesterday that made me wonder...how familiar to a person do you need to be to ask the "baby question"? Family? Friends? Complete Strangers?

Here's what happened...

I'm in Starbucks casually reading emails on my Blackberry when the barista strikes up a conversation with me. The way-too-cheerful barista often talks to me about how my week is going, the weather, and other general small talk. Since I don't function well before noon, I answer sleepily with one word answers. But today, she ventures beyond our normal realm of conversation.

"How long you been married?"
"Almost two years" (Still reading my emails)
"You going to have children soon?"
I look up from my Blackberry and say, "I don't know."
I smile and thank her as she hands me my drink. While walking out the door, I think to myself, "did she really just ask me that? Just because she knows I drink a non-fat, no whip mocha she thinks she knows me well enough to ask that? "

In my opinion, asking someone about starting a family is a very personal question. I think only close friends and family should be allowed to ask. Maybe I'm over thinking the whole thing. She was just trying to be friendly. Either way, I get this question ALL the time.

Noah and I definitely want a family but not right now. We're happy where we are in our lives and we've only been married for 2 years. I don't think our lifestyle is conducive to a baby right now. Taking care of Jeter is hard enough. We are out of town a lot for weddings, we like to go out with friends on the weekends, and sleeping 'til noon on Sundays is typical in the Greenbaum household. So to answer the Starbucks barista (don't even know her name)... Can't say exactly when but we definitley want to be parents someday.

1 comment:

  1. It happens to me all the time!! Last summer when I went to the dentist the hygenist asked me how long we had been married. I said "two years." Then she asked if we had kids. I said no. Her response: "Don't you think it's about time to get started?!" Me: "Um, no, not yet." Why do random people think it's okay to give their opinions?!?

    ReplyDelete