Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bin Shopping



Preface:

Twice a year, Victoria's Secret has their "Semi-Annual Sale." This is when I choose to steer clear of any and all Victoria's Secret stores. Why? Because of one thing...the bins. For those of you (men) who have never had to endure one of these sales, you have no idea what I am talking about. You see, all of the sale undergarments are placed in bins by size. The customer must rummage through these bins in an effort to find something appealing in the right shape, size and color. I HATE these bins. There is something about pawing my way through panties and bras that I find very unappealing. I think it's gross.


J.Crew Warehouse Sale:

Today at work, one of my co-workers told me about a *J.Crew Warehouse Sale on West Broad Street. She told me that all merchandise would be 80-90% off. I don't typically shop at J.Crew but at those prices I thought it might be worthwhile. I looked it up on the Richmond Bargains website (if you go to the website you can print off an additional 30% off coupon). As I read about the sale, I became intrigued. Until I saw, "Be prepared to rummage! The inventory is all in boxes on tables and on the floor. It is roughly divided into women’s, men’s, children’s, shoes, and accessories; but gets jumbled up." I shivered. Nonetheless, I called my sister and asked if she would join me on my adventure. So we went...


As I walked into the make-shift store, I saw dozens of women (and some men), long tables, and hundreds of boxes. There was zero organization. In a typical bin, you would find mismatched boots, dozens of pants, a shirt, an ugly skirt, a damaged sweater, and a bathing suit large enough to fit an elephant. Bonnie looked at me with a discerning eye. We armed ourselves with the supplied empty garbage bag and dug in. It was my worst nightmare. After 5 minutes, we almost gave up. But then, a navy dress caught my eye.
In the end, I purchased two J.Crew dresses. The original cost of each dress: $188. The sale cost: $15 (with my coupon). I spent less than $40 on two dresses! You can't even do that at Target!


Was it worth it? Yes. Will I do it again? NO. I love a good sale. But I have to draw the line somewhere. And I guess that line ends with bins.


*If you are interested in this sale, it ends Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment