Thursday, March 4, 2010

Quarter Life Crisis

Before I begin, I want to say that this is a whiny post. I realize there are others in this world much much worse off than me.

My best friend is coming into town next week on her birthday. It's her 25th birthday and I want to do something special. As I thought about, I realized that Noah will be 26 ...and then I realized that I will be 25 (oh the horror). Everyone older than you says, "oh you're so young!" But you don't feel that young anymore. When it rains, my hip hurts from an old dance injury.THAT NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE! My metabolism has slowed WAY down. And before you could blame things on being a teenager or a college student. You could say things like, "It's ok I don't have a plan because I just graduated from college." College is becoming a distant memory and I fear I won't remember at all one day...


Typical college day:

Wake up (late) to watch Regis & Kelly
Go to class in a t-shirt, yoga pants, and a sweatshirt
Exercise
Take a dance class
Eat
Go to another class
Take a nap/watch Oprah or Friends on DVD
Study
Eat
Party

REPEAT

Oh the life...


The only thing I had to worry about was me. Now, I'm lucky if anything is about me. From work, Noah, Jeter, laundry, mortgage, dishes, bills, cooking, cleaning, Junior League, etc., I'm on the bottom of the priority list. Don't get me wrong because I love my life. However, it's hard to transition from little to no responsibilities to a million responsibilities.


LIFE.


That's what life is all about. And even though I find more meaning and joy in my life than I did when I was younger, I can feel my youth slipping away (ok that's being dramatic). I guess I'm just realizing that I need to really think about my future. Everything has been mapped out for me until now. Now it's up to Noah and me to plan for our future. Sounds simple in theory but I have absolutely no idea which path to take. I really don't. It's frustrating and confusing. Should I go back to school? What should I go back to school for? When does Noah want to go back to school? When should we try to have kids? When should we get another dog? (most important question in my mind right now haha) You want to do something meaningful with your life.

At the end of the day, I need to remind myself that Noah, Jeter and I are healthy and happy and we have wonderful (and supportive) parents.
And if that doesn't make me feel better, I will count down the days until our next vacation...

No comments:

Post a Comment