Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Christmas to Remember

WARNING: the following post is somewhat sappy and sentimental.


It's Sunday and Noah's watching football (which means I'm bored). I have plenty of laundry to do and I should be going to bed early since I know this week will be busy busy with customers coming in for last minute gifts. Everyone is bustling about town to prepare for Christmas (which is somehow less than a week away). It seems as though every year I tell myself that I will buy all my xmas presents early. Yet here I am with 4 days to go and I still have shopping to do. I love Christmas time with the sparkling lights, Christmas music, apple cider (which my mom serves EVERY year on Christmas morning) and of course the holiday parties!


My shopping was put on hold this weekend from the HUGE snow storm that dropped about 14 inches of snow on Richmond. Jeter loves the snow. He hops about not knowing whether to eat the snow or play in it. Something changes when it snows. It's as if time slows down. I guess it's because you can't go anywhere but all our neighbors were in the streets with their dogs and children. One of our neighbors even brought us Christmas cookies. It's as if you're in your own Christmas movie.

What did I do on this snowy day?? I wrapped presents. And I'm not trying to sound conceited, but I am Martha freakin' Stewart when it comes to wrapping presents. It truly is an art form. I am bad at a lot of things; however, I am confident in 2 of my abilities: wrapping presents and baking chocolate chip cookies. Ask my mother (who has always been a cookie monster and taught me how to wrap).

This is a very special Christmas as it is our first as a married couple. I want to remember every second of it. Noah and I have been together for almost a decade and I find myself forgetting some of our happiest memories. I had just finished a long workout on the elliptical machine this morning. I was breathing heavily and staring at the Christmas tree. I looked at each ornament and tried to remember who gave it to us or where we purchased it. Each one has a special meaning and I don't want to forget. Finally, Noah looked at me and said, "babe, whatcha doin'?" I gave him a hug (even though I was gross) and I took a deep breath. My life has been a roller coaster ride with huge pitfalls and mountainous highs. It scares me to think about how great my life is because I'm so afraid of what may happen.

But you can't think like that. I'll enjoy the here and now and I'm ready for whatever life may throw at me.

I have the memory of an 85 year old. I want to get some of my memories written down.
So here are some of my favorites:

- We met in Costa Rica on spring break in high school. Our friends set us up and we were both so shy. Our resort was pretty large and everyone stayed in bungalows. There were little buses to cart you around the resort. Noah rode with me one night to my bungalow (just the two of us). He gave me a little hug but I remember getting butterflies.

- My sister hated Noah at first. We went horse back riding in Costa Rica on the beach at sunset (could that be more romantic?) Noah ruined it because his leg was rubbing on the saddle and he refused to go faster than a trot. Bonnie and I, on the other hand, were galloping up and down the beach.

- Our first kiss was pretty awful. His breath smelled like onions. To this day I refuse to kiss him if after he eats onions.

- Our first date was at Hermitage Country Club (a double date with Kevin and Blair... the ones who set us up)

- For my 16th birthday, Noah gave me a ring (which I still wear). My dad gave me a car a month before I turned 16 so Noah drove it around. He's probably driven that car more than I have!

- The first time I went to NYC was with Noah. It was amazing. We went to the Central Park Zoo and Noah was so afraid of the bird house. This is when I found out that he HATES birds.

- I made this adorable baseball cake for Noah when he turned 17.

And the one that tops them all.....the night Noah proposed

We went to Georgetown (for HIS birthday). We always stay at this one hotel right in the middle of Georgetown. We walked to dinner enjoying the surprising cool July evening. On our walk home, Noah asked, "Do you want to walk down by the canal." I declined since I was wearing these amazing Christian Louboutin peep toe pumps that were killing my feet (later I found out he was going to do it by the canal). When we got back to the hotel room, champagne was waiting for us. I changed into my pjs right away and Noah started acting weird. I didn't pay much attention because I thought maybe he hate too much or something. I hopped into bed and Noah handed me a glass. He told me to scoot over to the edge. I started making a toast about how much I loved him and ended it with, "Happy Birthday." I took a sip of champagne and realized Noah was making his own little speech. Before I knew it, he was down on one knee. I honestly can't remember what he said. I was so shocked I couldn't think! Somewhere in there I heard, "will you marry me?" Of course I said yes. We spent the next hour on the phone with our family (who already knew) and our friends.

Wait!!! This one tops them all...our wedding day!
- I loved every minute of our wedding day. I was nervous all day and didn't speak very much (I have no idea why I was so nervous). My wedding day felt like an out of body experience. It was so much fun and I wouldn't have changed a thing! Even if something goes wrong on your wedding day, you are so happy you don't even care (and I can say that because our groomsman passed out and our ring bearer threw up all over Noah's dad).

The first time I felt like Mrs. Greenbaum... was on our honeymoon. The morning after we arrived, we were woken up with a phone call. The operator said, "Good morning, Mrs. Greenbaum. Would you and your husband like breakfast in bed?"


I warned you this post was sappy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment