Sunday, November 1, 2009

I want to suck your blood...

Even though the word "Vampire" didn't appear in literature until the 18th century, Vampire myths can be traced back to prehistoric times. Of course the most notable Vampire story is Bram Stoker's Dracula in 1897. But by 1897, these mythological creatures were old news. "In ancient times, the term vampire did not exist; blood drinking and similar activities were attributed to demons or spirits who would eat flesh and drink blood; even the Devil was considered synonymous with the vampire. Almost every nation has associated blood drinking with some kind of revenant or demon, or in some cases a deity" (Wikipedia..DUH).


Yet somehow our society has become obsessed with these blood-hungry descendants of the devil. Everywhere you turn, there are heroins falling in love with a vampire. And contrary to the centuries of believing vampires are evil, these vampires aren't out to kill you! In fact, they are out to protect you!

And why wouldn't you fall in love with these cute vamps?


From True Blood, Vampire Diaries, and the Twilight saga, women everywhere are swooning over vampires! Don't get me wrong, with every good vampire there is an evil one lurking in the background.
Whatever....I love it! Guess what? Noah is to blame for my vampire obsession. He got me to watch True Blood (which is pretty gory so I wouldn't start with True Blood). Before you judge, give a show, movie or book a chance! I promise these vampires will have you hooked!
My favorite part of watching/reading these stories are, what I like to call, "vampire rules."
- Most can't go out during the day (unless they wear a special ring or it has to be cloudy...no sunlight)
- All of them drink blood (the good ones only drink animal blood)
- You have to either tear the vampire to shreds and burn it or run a wooden steak through the heart to kill a vampire
- They can run incredibly fast
- They have super human strength
- Their eyes turn funny colors and their fangs come out when they are "hungry" or upset
- The only way to "become" a vampire is to be bitten by a vampire
I could go on but I think I've hit my dorky limit for the day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment